Hello all. Joe M. here from Models Workshop. This is the first in a series about the journey of building and painting the Necron Obelisk. I will be taking you up step by step and showing you all my processes that my camera’s will allow. Most of this series will be on video. However, this was a twelve hour build so I decided to do a picture presentation instead of a video.
First the tools we will be using: Clippers, Glue (I’m using plastic glue in this case, out of super glue), Hobby Knife, File, Sandpaper, Hobby Brush, and Dishsoap.
I had already made this model from the kit:
Pictures of the box:
Opening the box:
Prepping the sprue for cleaning: Normally I would do this in the sink, but do to the sheer amount of things to wash I did this in the bathtub instead.
Cleaning and rinsing: Fill tub with warm water and dishsoap. Then gently bush the models all over with the hobby brush. This will remove oil and dust. Finish it off with a good rinse in clean water.
Building the base: I build the base next because it will be needed to hold the model up latter in the build. First I remove the sprue from the stand. Then I glue the stand to the base.
Inner Support: Now I build the inner support component. The long things I am cutting out are not used in their entirety, I have to clip the tip off of each of the 4 of them. Then I glued the tips to the support wings, then those tips fit into holes in the support base.
Next the hull: The hull came in 4 main pieces and 4 small pieces. I put together two side of the hull and kept those 2 sides separate. Then I glued the small pieces onto the top of the model on each half.
Now finish the hull around the inner support: The inner support’s wings fit onto a spot on the inside of the hull. However to put it in you had to turn the model upside down. Then the resting point was now on the wrong spot of the model to just let it sit, so I had to hold in place until it was dry.
Top structure and Tesla Sphere “barrels”: This part was easy, just clip out and glue the top structure pieces. Glue them to the top of the model, they fit perfectly into the holes left open on the top. Then glue the “barrels” onto the tesla spheres.
Now for the scarabs: Tails, Heads, and Legs: First I cut out the tails and glued them into place. The small heads were next and went on easy. The legs on the sprue don’t match the numbers in the instructions and some of them are not even numbered so make sure you have them all…2 for each scarab. The fact that they had different numbers didn’t matter either as they were all identical.
Now for some random fiddly bits that can go where you want: I went with what was on the box here and put them around the underside of the model.
Some of the hull didn’t sit right, so time for Liquid Green Stuff: While putting this together some of the sides did not fit flush. So now I take Liquid Green Stuff and use it to fill in the gap.
And the Finished Product 12 hours latter.! During the course of this I used the file, Hobby knife, and sandpaper to remove mold lines from it. I just wasn’t able to take a picture of me doing that.